12.3.14

DINNER WITH DURBAN CREATIVES & ZAHIRA ASMAL

 

I read about this lovely lady for the first time in this year's Feb/March Visi Magazine issue that enticed me with its bold colours and luring title "LOVE LIVING IN AFRICA". After bending a few pages, anticipating all things design, I came across a written piece by Zahira Asmal, sharing the story of her child hood in KZN, and taking me into her nostalgia I soaked into her story as she illustrated it to me. It was then that my partner Russel revealed that he knew this lady and would be assisting her on a book she is looking to release.

Last night, Russel and I were humbled to hosted a dinner 'meet & great' with Zahira Asmal who is in the city of Durban for a few days. We extended a warm invite to other local decisive, outspoken, innovative and inspiring creatives to share ideas about Durban and converse with us, which indeed turned out to be a stimulating and informative night for all. I sat without much words but generously lending a sharp ear as people charged the room with their personalities, thoughts and ideas. It was a pleasure meeting this prolific and well-minded young lady along side the Durban creatives whom I got to meet for the first time yesterday(Shirley, Steven, Steve and Zweli).

 
Zahira has truly been exposed to amazing things in Design as well having been interviewed on Monocle magazine and Wallpaper. She is founder and managing director of DESIGNING_SOUTHAFRICA, a non-profit research and advocacy organisation focused on design for social advancement, just to say the least. Having consumed conversations from a collective of creative individuals last night sprouted inspiration for my journey in fashion and making that step for my city(as I work on my fashion movement for Durban with my team of young local creatives.)

If you would like to know more about her and what she gets up to please visit http://www.designingsouthafrica.com/. Trust me you will find her stories and travels worth the while.

Thank you once again to everybody who graced us with their presence last night! Hopefully friendships have been made and inspiration sprouted.


My Black Berry pictures are useless by the way. You just had to be here. :)

[Photograph for earthworks by Elske]


No comments:

Post a Comment